Christmas is a joyous time of the year, a time to exchange gifts and to celebrate with friends and family. At Allianz, we want you to enjoy Christmas fully and know that we’re here for you if anything does go wrong. However, there are a few simple things you can do to try help keep your home safe this Christmas.
Santa may not be the only person trying to climb down your chimney this year!
Unfortunately, we typically see an increase in house break-ins during the Christmas period. This is mainly due to the darker evenings, the quantity of presents in each property, and the fact that many people leave their homes to visit family and friends.
Tips to increase security in your home this Christmas:
- Keep presents away from view.
- When throwing away packaging make sure to conceal it, as it may show that you have valuable items in your home.
- Set your alarm before leaving your house.
- Double lock your front door.
- Keep the radio and lights turned on when you leave your house for the night.
- Have a family member or friend check on your house if away for a prolonged period.
- Avoid social media posts! Sharing holiday locations can make you a prime target.
Making sure your contents are covered under your home insurance can also be vital at this time of the year, should anything happen. At Allianz, we automatically increase the contents sum insured by 10% during the months of December and January* – helping to give you that extra layer of protection at Christmas!
*Standard policy conditions and exclusions apply.
One thing that can never be talked about enough is fire safety at Christmas time. During this period extra fire hazards are introduced into the home so it’s important to be on top of your fire safety and not become complacent. A Christmas tree can catch fire and cause untold damage to your home within seconds.
Tips to avoid a fire in your home this Christmas:
- Turn off lights and decorations before bed and while away from your home.
- Don’t plug too many applications into a socket as it may cause an electrical fault resulting in fires.
- Use lights that have the CE marking provided by the National Standards Authority of Ireland.
- If you have a real Christmas tree, keep it watered.
- Keep candles away from curtains and flammable decorations.
- Keep candles elevated away from children.
- Quench candles before leaving the house or going to bed.
- Make sure you have smoke alarms and ensure they work.
Most of all - enjoy the festive season and take note of these tips to keep you and your home safe! If you're an Allianz customer and you do run into trouble, don’t panic, because Allianz are here to help. Find details of our Emergency Assistance Service here.
Allianz p.l.c. is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Standard acceptance criteria and policy conditions apply.