Frost and Freeze Protection
In recent years many schools have suffered loss or damage to their property (including the contents contained therein) arising from weather related events.
In addition to the financial cost associated with losses of this nature, significant disruption to the activities of the Schools are often encountered. In many instances the losses could have been prevented or reduced by the implementation of good loss prevention measures. We set out some basic Loss Prevention measures which can be implemented with minimal cost but which could greatly reduce your susceptibility to a Weather related loss.
During periods of severe or prolonged cold weather:
- Maintain heat in the Building
- Fit Frost Thermostats and ensure that they are correctly set, i.e. 35°F or 2°C if located indoors, or 32°F or 0°C if outdoors. These will automatically activate your heating system once the ambient temperature drops to 2 degrees Celsius or below
- Remember to protect your oil supply against freezing. This may happen if temperatures of 12°F or -9°C prevail. The oil supply pipe can be protected with weather-proof insulation and a tarpaulin cover will provide emergency protection to the tank
- Leave internal doors open to protect unheated or poorly heated compartments, but always subject to applicable fire safety rules and regulations. Make sure all radiators are on
- If air vents in the boiler room are closed off, leave sufficient opening to allow an adequate supply of air for combustion
- If heat is not to be maintained to a building no longer in use, then the water supply should be isolated and all sanitary and domestic water services drained
- Make sure all exposed pipes are properly lagged/insulated to at least 19mm along their entire length, including all joints and corners
- Make sure that all tanks in the attic space are fully lagged on all sides (excluding the underneath) to at least 80mm standard
- Inline pumps and automatic shut off valves can provide invaluable back-up protection if your heating system fails or has been inadvertently switched off.
- Ensure that School grounds are safe and fit for use. As a minimum clear a pathway up to the entrance of the School and maintain that pathway over the period of freezing.