Call us at: 01 448 48 48         Mon-Fri: 8am-6pm | Sat: 9am-1pm

Allianz Ireland

> > Home Insurance FAQs
Home Insurance FAQs

Home Insurance FAQs

Please note: Our home insurance policy document is available at the bottom of the page for you to download.

Standard Cover

Household Policy Cover

What does my Household policy cover?

Your Household policy will protect you from many natural, accidental or malicious events . Here is an overview of some of the situations covered by our Household policy:

  • Loss or damage by fire, theft, flood, explosion, storm, and lightning
  • Loss or damage by smoke if there is faulty operation of any oil, gas, electric domestic heaters or domestic cooking appliances within the premises
  • Loss or damage due to the escape of water from plumbing or heating system, fixed water appliance or fixed domestic appliance
  • Accidental damage to audio and audio-visual equipment up to the value of €1300
  • Loss or damage caused by vandalism or malicious damage

For full details of covers, exclusions, terms, conditions and limitations please refer to the Household Policy document.

Types of Properties

What types of properties can I insure with Allianz?

We provide cover for properties occupied as family homes, holiday homes or which are let to tenants.

Value of Premises & Contents

How much should I insure my premises for?

Your premises should be insured for its reinstatement value, including the cost of professional fees and site clearance. You can obtain guidance on reinstatement value on

How much should I be insuring my contents for?

Your contents should be based on the cost of replacing the contents‘as new’at today's prices, and should cover everything that you would take with you if you moved house. The contents should cover all items within the home and garden. If cover is needed for items away from the home e.g. jewellery, All Risks cover must be selected. Refer to the All Risks section of the Household Policy document for full details & the section on What is “All Risks” cover below.

What happens if I underinsure my home? (SAQ)

The Average Clause applies to our household policies. This means that if the sum insured at the time of the loss is less than the insurable value of the property, the amount claimed under the policy may be reduced in proportion to the underinsurance.

Buildings and Contents Insurance

What is classed as buildings and contents insurance?

As a guide, Buildings include:

  • The structure of your home
  • Built-in wardrobes
  • Fitted kitchens
  • Wooden floors
  • Garage and outbuildings
  • Walls, gates and fences
  • Patios

As a guide Contents include:

  • Household goods
  • Clothing
  • Furniture and furnishings
  • Personal effects

For the full definition of Buildings and Contents please refer to our Household Policy document.

More on Contents Insurance >>

Policy Excess

What is a house insurance policy excess?

An excess is the first amount of any loss that you are responsible for paying in the event of making a claim.   This amount is deducted from the total claim settlement figure.

Our standard excess for household claims is €250. However, this may vary depending on the type of loss or type of policy. Please refer to your schedule of insurance, policy booklet, or contact us directly if you wish to query this amount.

Garden Equipment & Sheds

Is my garden equipment and sheds covered?

Under the Premises section of your policy, cover is  provided for the following  types of domestic outbuildings:

  • Garage
  • Garden Shed (used to store fuel, garden implements, children's toys etc.)
  • Boiler House
  • Stable (used to accommodate 1-2 horses for private use only)
  • Green House

Under the contents section of your policy cover is provided for your household goods and personal effects within the domestic outbuildings.

Back to top ^

Optional Extentions of Cover

Accidental Damage Cover

What is accidental damage cover?

Accidental damage cover is for sudden unforeseen damage arising from an incident or action which is not weather related. 

For example, spilling paint accidentally on a carpet is covered under the contents accidental damage extension; putting a foot accidentally through the attic floor is covered under the buildings accidental damage extension.

Allianz also offers automatic accidental damage cover on TV and audio-visual equipment up to €1,300, even if accidental damage on contents is not selected. Please refer to the Household Policy document for details.

Contents Away from the Home

Are my contents covered away from my home?

Cover for loss, theft or damage to items away from your home can be added by selecting All Risks cover. Refer to the All Risks section of the Household Policy document for full details & the section on What is “All Risks” cover below.

Are my valuables covered in my car under my household policy?

If you have All Risks cover on your Home Insurance policy your valuables are covered once they are kept in a locked boot or glove box.

If your car is parked on your drive the valuables are covered under the ‘Contents in the open’ additional benefit on the policy.

If your car is garaged then the items are covered under the contents section of the policy.

Does my home insurance cover my possessions when I am holidays?

You have the option to cover loss, theft or accidental damage to personal possessions while you are away from the home or on holiday. To do this, you must select the All Risks additional cover option when taking out your policy.

Depending on your own particular requirements, you can specifically list your personal possessions which you wish to cover or you can select the total amount of your personal possessions which is to be covered. Personal Possessions which you may want to specifically insure outside your home may include items such as sports equipment, jewellery and other valuables .This type of cover gives you peace of mind when you are away from home knowing that your valuables are covered in the event of an incident which may give rise to you having to make a claim. You can tailor your all risks cover to your specific needs which will allow you to list high value items on your policy. Please also refer to the section on What is ‘’All Risks” cover.

Details of covers, exclusions and limitations applicable to personal possessions outside of your property are outlined in the All Risks section of the Household policy document.

“All Risks” Cover

What is“All Risks”cover?

All Risks cover is an optional extra under your policy which protects you against loss or theft of, or accidental damage to, personal valuables such as jewellery, clothing, photographic equipment etc. both inside and outside your home. It also covers you for items you take abroad for up to 60 days.

There are two types of All Risks cover:

  1. Specified All Risks Cover: which allows you to list individual items on your policy, and specify their value. Specified items normally include jewellery, hearing aids, bicycles, cameras and other valuables. Each item is covered up to the amount you insure it for.
  2. Unspecified All Risks Cover: is an umbrella style cover which allows you to select a total amount that your personal effects will be covered for each year. There is no need to list each item individually. This cover is designed for items such as glasses, mobile phones, handbags etc.

Certain limits apply to Unspecified All Risks cover including; €2,000 for any one item, bicycles up to a limit of €320 and personal money up to a limit of €650.

Caravans & Mobile Homes

Does my home insurance cover a caravan / mobile home?

This cover is an optional extra on the policy, Depending on the circumstances Allianz will provide payment,  replacement or repair in case of  accidental loss or damage to the Caravan/Mobile home. 

Allianz can also cover  clothing and personal effects inside the Caravan/Mobile home if you select contents cover as an optional extra. This also includes accessories, furnishings and utensils.

You are covered for loss or damage which occurs during a break-in or an attempted break-in. As long as the Caravan / Mobile home is securely locked and the break-in was not due to carelessness on your behalf.

Allianz will also provide cover for your legal liability to third parties arising out of the ownership / use of the caravan / mobile home.

This cover would apply if you are found legally liable for:

  • Accidental damage to property owned by third parties.
  • Death, bodily injury or illness caused to third parties .

Details of covers, exclusions and limitations applicable to Caravans/ Mobile Homes are outlined in the Caravan/Mobile Home section of the Household policy document.

Where am I covered if I insure a mobile home / caravan?

Your Caravan/Mobile home is insured anywhere in the Republic of Ireland, Great Britain, Isle of Man, The Channel Islands, including transit between all ports.

Your Caravan/Mobile home is also insured for up to 60 days in any one Period of Insurance (the period shown on your Schedule any subsequent period for which we accept a renewal premium ) while temporarily within the continent of Europe and in your custody or control.

Details of covers, exclusions and limitations applicable to Caravans/ Mobile Homes are outlined in the Caravan/Mobile Home section of the Household policy document.

Back to top ^

Additional Benefits

Additional Benefits

What additional benefits are covered on my home insurance?

Allianz Household policy provides a wide range of additional benefits. For example:

Alternative accommodation, breakage of glass and sanitary fixings, door lock replacement, fraudulent use of credit cards, paying guests, visitors and guests property.

Please refer to the Household Policy document for details.

Fire Brigade Charges

Are Fire Brigade charges covered under my house Insurance?

Yes, we will pay the cost of the charges you owe a local authority (as permitted by legislation) for Fire Brigade attendance, as a result of any incident which is insured by your Policy. The maximum amount we will pay is €2,000. Please refer to the Household Policy document for details.

Paying Guests

Are paying guests covered under my house insurance?

Where you permanently occupy the premises as your main residence, up to 6 paying guests are covered automatically. Cover can be extended for up to 12 paying guests.

Am I covered to rent a room out?

Where you permanently occupy the premises as your main residence, your policy automatically provides cover for up to 6 paying guests including lodgers or Bed & Breakfast guests.

Suitable cover can also be arranged for properties let to tenants in one unit or let holiday homes.

Snow Damage to your Home

Is my house covered for snow damage?

Your policy covers damage to your home caused by the weight of accumulated fallen snow or the sudden movement of same.

Back to top ^


Household Liability Cover

What liability cover do I have under my Household policy?

The premises section of the Household policy provides cover for liability arising out of ownership of the premises.

The contents section of the Household policy provides cover for liability arising out of:

  • Occupancy of the premises
  • Insured's personal capacity

The maximum amount we will pay for these covers is €3,175,000. Please refer to your Household Policy document for details.


Does my home insurance cover workmen?

Domestic employees are covered under the Liability to Domestic Employees section of the policy, however no cover is provided for independent contractors.  A domestic employee is defined as an employee of the Household carrying out solely private domestic duties in connection with the Premises including repair, maintenance or decoration.


Does my home insurance cover visitors?

Liability to others is covered as standard on your policy. Visitors to  your home for business purposes  are not covered on a standard home policy.

The policy also covers visitor’s and guest’s property up to a maximum of €1,300. Please refer to your Household Policy document for details.

Back to top ^


Household Claims

What should I do in the event of a household claim?

Please visit the following page and select the appropriate circumstance:

Household Claims - What to do in the event of an accident

How is my Premium Affected?

How is my premium affected if I make a claim?

If you make a claim your No Claims Bonus will be affected and your renewal premium may increase.

Back to top ^

Other FAQs

Flood Prone Areas

My property is in a flood-prone area where the OPW ( Office of Public Works) have implemented flood defences, how should I proceed to get a quote?

If your property is in a flood-prone area protected by fully completed OPW flood defences and you wish to obtain a quote for your home insurance simply contact us at 01 448 48 48.

Personal Possessions

What are personal possessions?

Personal possessions are articles normally worn or carried on the person.

Premium Reductions

How can I avail of premium reductions on my household policy?

You could reduce your premium by having a working burglar alarm installed or opting for an increased voluntary excess.

Unoccupied Property

Is my property covered if it is not occupied?

Property is considered unoccupied if it is not lived in on a permanent full-time basis by the members of your household or any other person authorized by you.

If your property becomes or is likely to become unoccupied, please advise Allianz of this change, as this information may affect your insurance.

Where a property is unoccupied for more then 35 consecutive days some covers are automatically excluded. Please refer to your Household Policy document for details. Different conditions apply for Holiday Homes. Please refer to the Endorsements section of the Household Policy document for more details.

Contact Us

Contact Us

Direct Sales & Customer Service:
Phone: 01 448 48 48
E-mail us
More contact information
Mon-Fri 8am-6pm | Sat 9am-1pm

10% off new policies online

Home Insurance Quote

Our online application process is easy & secure - get a quote in minutes.

>Get House Quote

Get a quote online in minutes

MyAllianz - Take control of your insurance

Back to top Print This Page Share
hidden transparent image