Ride on Lawnmowers FAQs

Our most Frequently Asked Questions about Allianz Schools Insurance.

The Custodian School Protection Policy specifically excludes liability which is compulsorily insurable in accordance with Road Traffic Act(s). Ride-on mowers which are used in areas to which the public has access are classified as mechanically propelled vehicles under the Road Traffic Act (RTA) and consequently the owner is legally required to effect motor insurance for the ride-on mower.

Until recently ride on lawnmowers were exempt from motor insurance cover if they were used exclusively on private grounds without access by motor vehicles. However a recent European Directive (arising from a European Court of Justice ruling in the case Vnuk v Zavarovalnica Triglav) has changed the legal requirements of motor insurance. The area of use of the vehicle is now inconsequential, so any ride on lawnmower in operation requires motor insurance.

You can contact Allianz at 01-6133387 and we will be happy to provide you with a quotation and arrange this cover for you. We provide special rates on ride-on-mowers for schools.