Coverage and Benefits FAQs

Our most Frequently Asked Questions about Allianz Car Insurance Coverage and Benefits.

Coverage & Benefits

You will receive your cert & disc within five working days by post . Once your policy is activated we will send you a link to register for MyAllianzOn MyAllianz you will be able to view and download your policy documents. We may request some documents such as a copy of your Proof of No Claims Bonus and any other documents we need to verify your details. You must submit these documents within 30 days to ensure cover remains in place. You can submit documents online here.
  • Yes, you can avail of a temporary substitution (usually if your car is in a garage getting repaired) or a permanent substitution (if you are changing your car permanently).
  • You also have automatic cover on any car up to 2000cc loaned to you by a garage for up to 7 days while your car is being repaired.
  • If you require cover on a car over 2,000cc, a car not loaned to you by a garage or for more than 7 days, please contact us. A charge may apply in this case.
  • A permanent substitution may incur a €20 administration charge.

    No, your policy only covers one permanent car at any one time.

There are 2 different types of cover you can choose from: Third Party, Fire and Theft OR Comprehensive. These covers vary in cost and in the level of cover provided; this gives you wider options to choose from.

1. Third Party Fire and Theft

With Third Party Fire and Theft you are covered for any costs incurred for damages in respect of injury to any person, and / or damage to property arising from the use of your car. You are also covered for any loss of or damage to your car and its accessories or spare parts caused by fire, lightning, explosion, theft or attempted theft.

The car is insured for the current market value or the sum insured whichever is the lesser at the time of loss or damage.

With third party fire and theft you are covered for any costs which you may face, for injury to any person and/or any damage to property which your car causes.

You are also covered for any loss or damage caused by fire, lightning, explosion, theft or attempted theft of your car, its accessories or spare parts.

2. Comprehensive

In addition to the cover provided by Third Party, Fire and Theft, with Comprehensive cover you are also covered for loss or damage to your car or damage caused by vandalism, and its accessories and spare parts while in or on the car.

Policy terms and conditions apply.

Read More on Types of Car Insurance Covers Here.

Yes, you are covered to drive in the following countries: Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands. Your policy is also automatically extended to cover you to travel to or on the continent of Europe for up to 60 days in any period of insurance allowing you the same cover whilst you are driving your own car.

However, please note that our Breakdown Assistance (if you have this cover) is only available while driving in the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and Great Britain.

Driving other cars is available on request and if provided, you are covered to drive someone else’s car but the cover is restricted to third party insurance cover only. This benefit is only available to policyholders that are over 25 years of age.

A mid-term adjustment fee of €20 may apply.

Please refer to your Policy Schedule and Policy document for more details.

1. Personal Effects and Clothing

We will pay you (or the owner of the property) for loss or damage to personal effects (e.g. rugs, sporting equipment and clothing) which are in or on your car if they are damaged by fire, theft (or attempted theft) or by accidental means, provided that:

    Our total liability will be limited to €200 in respect of any one incident.

    Payment to any person other than you will be paid direct to that person who will observe, fulfil and be subject to the terms, conditions, exceptions and general exceptions of your policy in so far as they can apply.

    At the time of loss or damage, you are not being paid for carrying passengers in your car.

2. Driving other Cars

We will insure you for legal liability, as shown under Section 1 (Third Party Insurance) of the policy document, while you are driving another private car, as long as the private car:

    1   Does not belong to you or your employer.

    2   Is not hired or leased to either of the parties described above under a Hire Purchase or Leasing Agreement.

    3   Is not the property of or in the custody or control of a Motor Trade business of which you are a director, member or employee.

Cover under driving other cars is limited to use within Ireland and the United Kingdom only.

3. Windscreen breakage

We will pay for breakage or repair of glass in the windscreen, windows and roof of your car including any scratching of the bodywork, as long as they are a direct result of that breakage. Any claims not processed through our Aligned Windscreen Repair network are limited to an amount of €200.

An excess will not apply to a claim payment for windscreen damage and it will not have an effect on your No Claim Bonus.

4. Personal Accident

If selected, Personal Accident covers the driver and occupants who suffer bodily injury by accidental means whilst driving.

If the injury results in any of the following conditions the amounts stated below will be paid to the injured party:

Swipe to view more

Item No. Item Benefits
1. Death €13,000
2. Complete and Permanent Loss of sight of one or both eyes €13,000
3. Loss by severance of one or more limbs at or above the wrist or ankle €13,000
4. Permanent total disablement €13,000
5. Temporary total disablement (payable up to 50 weeks but excluding the first 14 days) €60 per week
6. Medical and hospital fees (payable up to 10 weeks) €130 per week
Our standard motor excess is €250. However, this may vary depending on the type of loss or type of policy. Please refer to your schedule of insurance, policy document, or contact us directly if you wish to query this amount.
Yes, Third Party Liability cover to tow a trailer/horsebox is automatically included in your policy. Accidental damage cover for trailers can be added as an additional benefit if the cover on your policy is comprehensive.

An excess is the first amount of any loss that you are responsible for in the event of making a claim. This amount is deducted from the total claim settlement figure.

Our standard motor excess is €250. However, this may vary depending on the type of loss or type of policy. Please refer to your schedule of insurance, policy document, or contact us directly if you wish to query this amount.